Saturday, September 30, 2006

How Perceptive of You

Happily, I was leaving work the other day and relishing the glorious fall afternoon air. I realized how everything boils down to our perceptions. In a world where things are prefabricated, manufactured and mass produced our perceptions are our own. And in writing it's important that we are able to convey our character's perceptions appropriately to draw in the reader's attention.

I'm going to give you some examples of different things and example perceptions. I want you to think about what your peceptions of the item would be.

A sunny fall afternoon.

The crisp clean air carried a chill through the alley between the two buildings. As I came out of the building's shadow the sun warmed me, blinding my eyes, but bringing a smile to my face. It made me think of rebirth and renewal of spirit.


Christmas Holidays.

The shops were overflowing with people rushing about looking the perfect gift. A gift that either cost too much to be afforded or didn't exist, except in the mind of the shopper. As a rather plump lady plowed by, crushing my foot with her buggy's wheels, I heard the song Jingle Bells muzak style begin to play over the speakers. Hearing the song for the 2000th time 3 weeks til Christmas made my anger flare even more so regarding the lady running over my foot. It was no wonder the holidays were the time of year when suicide numbers went up.


Everything effects our perceptions. From the elements, time of year, environment and just our general state of mind at that particular moment in time, everthing is a factor.

No comments: