Sunday, October 29, 2006

Ah, Sweet New Orleans




This time last week I was sitting on the 30th floor of the Sheraton on Canal Street in New Orleans. After 8 years of staying around the home front for vacation, I got an actual out of the state vacation. It was wonderful! I went to Sherrilyn Kenyon's (aka Kinley McGregor) KCon. If you don't know who Sherrilyn is, let me enlighten you. She writes these wonderful books about men and women who protect the innocent from those who prey on them. They are called the Dark Hunters. Most of their stories have taken place in and around the French Quarter. 300 fans, including myself and my hubby ventured to New Orleans for the first ever KCon. There was so much to do and see. Sad to say, we didn't get everything seen we wanted to see. Now, I'm having to figure out how to save up for another road trip. There has been mention of us moving there, but not seeing that as possible with both our jobs. It really is beautiful there with tons of history.

Not only did I get to meet some great people because of Sherrilyn, but she had some editors there for those of us who were interested in meeting. (I think this is the news that Candice was impatiently waiting for.) I met with one of them Saturday afternoon, while others waited in line for Sherrilyn to sign their books. I was extremely nervous, but sucked it up and though positive thoughts. Mostly I think it was breath normal, keep your voice in check (no squeaking) and ran over what I was going to say about my story. The time came for me to talk to her. I walked over, shook hands, exchanged pleasantries and sat down. I went right into the spiel. After the synopsis I added why it was the heroine didn't want to get into a relationship, her vow to her career... no men. The editor looked me in the eyes and I swear her voice got louder when she asked me why the heroine had made her vow. When I explained it to her, she nodded her head and handed me her card. She said she liked it, she wanted 3 chapters, synopsis and cover letter explaining I met her at KCon. Said she didn't normally do this, but liked it. I was already reworking the openning, so imagine how much harder I'm trying to focus.

Afterwards, went back to the signing and showed everyone the card. That evening, we had a Ghost tour of the Quarter, then Beignets at Cafe DuMonde. Oh so yummy! Next morning was brunch at Brennan's. Back to the hotel after brunch to pack up. Sherrilyn was a sweetie and told us if we wanted her to sign anything else she would be downstairs in the lobby. It all seemed to go by so fast! We rounded the day off with shopping at the French Market, dinner on a balcony overlooking the French Market then a carriage ride around the Quarter. Unable to help ourselves, we took another walk around the quarter Monday morning before we left. We walked over to the Riverwalk and looked around.

The return to normalacy has been a kick in the head. Hubby and I keep saying how much we miss New Orleans. We're already making a list of the things we missed this past trip; Garden District, the Cemeteries, trying a handgrenade and more.

No comments: